Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hot Water, Please!

I just finished my first ever 'hot water bottle cozy'. Here is a picture of my mother holding the work, assessing how well I did... 'passed, A+!' she said! And I give myself the same grade... This is a 'BAWK hot water bottle cozy', and the link to the pattern is here. I love looking online for neat little projects that provide 'instant gratification', as my mother likes to say, and which offer a challenge or two. This was my first time knitting with circular needles, which I have decided that I really like doing, as well as the first time I have even done the 'cable stitch'. The cable stitch was not nearly as challenging as I thought it would be, and it is very nice way to do a decorative stitch. The yarn I used was Bernat 'Softee Chuncky', no. 39114. I used thicker needles than recommended, US #10. Here is a picture I took today while outside, with the gold fish in the pond. I like the nature and the knitting together, it brings out the natural element to knitting your own home-made things. The next project I am undertaking is a sock. Yes, I am going to try the challenge of the four double pointed needle work, but I bought some cute pink needles that are smaller in length than the ones my mother has, which makes it much easier to work with. After putting on a few rows of ribbing, I started the stockinette sticht, which with obvious repitition allows for one to find their own 'groove', for lack of a better word. So, here is a picture of the beginning of my sock, and my pretty new pink needles. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Florence

There is nothing like an aquired skill for life; I really like the work you made so far, and also the " blog " you dedicated to it!
Your grandmothe kept knitting into her eighties, so you still have some time left, keep going, MOM.

Tristan said...

The Hot water water bottle cover is an ingenious idea, hot water bottles kick ass in the winter. So whats next on your knitting list?

Florence said...

a pair of socks!!